Friday, January 18, 2008

Speakeasies

I had my first real interaction with the students today. I've been observing for two weeks, and my CT has left me in the room with them while a movie was running, but this was my first real "teaching" opportunity. I reviewed their homework with them.
I have to admit that I was way nervous during the first hour. I have a tough crowd of kids. They're not easily impressed and usually unwilling to cooperate. However, they were wonderful for me. I think they sensed how nervous I was, and they helped me out a lot. I had numerous volunteers to answer questions and I never had to volunteer anyone. It was a lot of fun, and I began to enjoy it more as the day went on. The later classes weren't as easy as the first period. By fourth period, I had all sorts of jokers. When asked about the Harlem Renaissance, one kid in the back yelled out, Wasn't that in Hawaii?
I tried my best to take everything in stride. I consider myself a pretty laid back teacher. My CT is the teacher who constantly battles to keep her classes quiet during movies and giving serious answers only. Yesterday, I monitored the room during the movie while she returned to her office for the period. I believe it's better to allow the students some flexibility. I allowed talking as long as it wasn't loud enough to distract other people from the movie.
Slowly, I'm learning that teaching does not have to be a battle. There are teachers who choose to fight over every little thing, trying to assert absolute control over their classes. My CT is like that. She has control over her class, but at what price? She's frustrated, tense, and exhausted. I'm of the opposite philosophy. Why fight little battles? Students are going to talk during a movie no matter how many times you shush them. I don't know why some teachers see this as a big deal. If they aren't disrupting someone else's learning, what's the problem? In addition, I would guess that about half of the time, they're discussing the movie anyway. Students will also shout out wrong answers on purpose to test your reaction. Some teachers think they deserve to be "dealt with" immediately or they will only get worse. I believe that if you take these students in stride and not treat them as nuisances, you don't have to fight the little battles. Instead, they see you as a teacher to be respected, not tested.Yes, your class will be a little noisier, but it will also be less of a war zone. Instead, you'll have created an actual learning environment.

No comments: